Online/ Virtual Schools
The use of online/virtual schools is growing rapidly in K-12 and higher education. These programs provide online instruction for students both within and outside of the classroom. Some online schools offer courses as a supplement to the classroom setting while others offer full-time programs in place of enrolling in a traditional school.
Online schools first began in the 1990's with the advent of the internet. As of 2008, more than 25 states had publicly funded organizations providing internet-based courses. In 2007, one-third of Utah high school seniors had taken a class online.
Some experts predict that 50 percent of K-12 courses will be delivered online by 2019. In 2000, there were 45,000 enrollments in online courses. By 2007, they had grown 22 times to roughly 1,000,000 enrollments.1
Online Schools in Utah
Several online schools are available to Utah students. Use the links below to learn more about each one.
Publicly Funded Online Schools
- Alpine Online>> Alpine Online is a K-8 school for district residents who are primarily home schooled. The school’s goal is to provide support for the parent, who is the primary instructor of the student. Using a rigorous curriculum provided by K12, parents and students have access to a full set of core courses.
- Davis Online K-8>> Davis Online is a public school program that is taught in the home by the parent using an online virtual education program for students in grades K-8. Davis Online uses a program called K12, and parents work through the curriculum under the supervision and coaching of a certified teacher.
- The Open High School of Utah>> The Open High School of Utah is an online charter high school, offering an incredible curriculum, personalized learning experiences, and the flexibility of studying from your home or wherever else you may be. And because the Open High School of Utah is a public high school, there's no cost to attend.
- Uintah Navigators>> Uintah Navigators is an online K-8 school. The school’s goal is to provide support for the parent, who is the primary instructor of the student. Using a rigorous curriculum provided by K12, parents and students have access to a full set of core courses. The Uintah Navigators school also organizes field trips and other activities for students.
- Utah Electronic High School (EHS)>> The Utah Electronic High School (EHS) allows students to take internet-driven high school classes moving at their own pace. Classes typically take up to 6 months, and can be taken in conjunction with public, private, or home school curriculums. EHS typically does not grant diplomas, although they are able to award diplomas to students who are home-schooled exclusively, those who have dropped out of school and their class has graduated, and district referrals.
- Utah Virtual Academy (UTVA)>> The Utah Virtual Academy (UTVA) is an online charter school serving students statewide in grades K-12. UTVA uses the K12 program to facilitate parents as primary teachers with support from K12 and UTVA. UTVA organizes outings throughout the school year for students enrolled in their program.
- Washington Online School>> Washington Online is a K-8 school. The school’s goal is to provide support for the parent, who is the primary instructor of the student. Using a rigorous curriculum provided by K12, parents and students have access to a full set of core courses. The Washington Online school also organizes field trips and other activities for students.
Privately Funded Online Schools*
- K12>> K12 is the leader in online curriculum and programs in the K-12 market. They provide curriculum and supporting materials for students across the US for both supplemental courses and full-time enrollment. K12 also offers online AP courses.
- The Jubilee Academy>> The Jubilee Academy is a Christian-based home school style virtual school curriculum. They provide nationally recognized, accredited curriculum for students preschool through 12th grade.
- The Learning Springs>> The Learning Springs offers over 100 web-based courses, including a full range of core courses from grades 5-12 and a wide selection of enrichment and elective courses for grades 4-12.
- Aventa Learning>> Aventa Learning provides individual courses for high school and middle school students throughout the US.
- Keystone National High School>> Keystone National High School is an accredited online high school program that prepares students for college or a career. Students may enroll full time to earn a Keystone online high school diploma, or part time to transfer credits back to the resident high school.
- PLATO Learning>> PLATO Learning is a leading provider of education technology solutions for K–adult learners, offering curricula for reading, writing, mathematics, science, social studies, and life and job skills.
* Inclusion of a program in this list does not constitute an endorsement of that program from Utah Education Facts. If our list is missing an online/virtual school, please let us know by emailing info AT utaheducationfacts DOT com.
- Education Next, "How do we transform our schools? Use technologies that compete against nothing" by Clayton M. Christensen and Michael B. Horn, Summer 2008. Accessed at: http://www.hoover.org/publications/ednext/18575969.html